Number quantifiers:- It is like many and a few say how many there are of something; we use only these with plural noun:
We usually use many in negative sentences:
- There aren’t many people in the pool today.
- Not many people have two cars.
We often use how many in questions:
- How many members are there in your family?
We don’t usually use many in positive sentences when speaking. We use a lot of:
- There were a lot of books in the shelf. (NOT there were many books. )
We can use many or a lot of in negatives and questions:
- There were not many customers at the shop. Are there a lot of people in the shop today?
But we use many at the beginning of sentences.(Many people watch daytime TV.)
A few means some, a small number:(I met a few celebrities. They were awful. )